Helza here!

Hi! I write hybrid stories with fantasy in the mix. In 2016, I finished a MA(Writing). I have had two stories (not fantasy) published in literary journals.

I live in sunny Queensland, Australia, with my husband in a country town, Stanthorpe, which has over fifty-five wineries, so I'm not leaving. I have limited mobility and took up writing to keep myself occupied and hopefully, make some money.

My current project is a middle grade urban fantasy, Elvia, which is about a girl who comes into her ears at the age of twelve and subsequently finds out she is half human/half elf with parts of dwarf and shifter thrown in. She continues to discover her powers as the story progresses through a series of five books (anticipated). Elvia started in NaNoWriMo in 2014 and continued in 2016, which gives me enough material for the first three books. Now, we all know what I will be doing in November 2017. The first book is at the polishing stage, which I hope means I can publish it soon. You can meet this feisty Elvia in the attached image.

Cheers H

Comments

• Hmmm seems a character in a book I'm reading is from Queensland. Name of Adder, but goes by Snake. ;)
  • Wrong end. Stanthorpe is down near the big smoke of Brisbane (near me - Hi Helza), Snake is from Northern Queensland.
  • Wrong end. Stanthorpe is down near the big smoke of Brisbane (near me - Hi Helza), Snake is from Northern Queensland.

Ah well, having never been to Australia I hope you'll forgive. Always wanted to go. Came so close in HS to doing a whole school term there, but they wouldn't allow me to go because I was going to be a senior. Found out later, I could have just agreed to do my senior year over and they would have allowed that. *wanders off muttering about my stupid high school and how much of my life that school screwed up*

• Welcome!

Thanks Eric.
  • Hmmm seems a character in a book I'm reading is from Queensland. Name of Adder, but goes by Snake. ;)

Keep reading those Australian books.

Ah well, having never been to Australia I hope you'll forgive. Always wanted to go. Came so close in HS to doing a whole school term there, but they wouldn't allow me to go because I was going to be a senior. Found out later, I could have just agreed to do my senior year over and they would have allowed that. *wanders off muttering about my stupid high school and how much of my life that school screwed up*

Hi Julian, I used to live at Kippa Ring and know the Redcliffe jetty markets well. We had a tree-change four years ago and love living in the cooler mountain climate.

Hi Cap'n. I'm sorry to hear you missed out on your Aussie term. My daughter did a term when at uni in Copenhagen. Now, it's impossible to keep her in this country.
  • Helza said:

Hi Cap'n. I'm sorry to hear you missed out on your Aussie term. My daughter did a term when at uni in Copenhagen. Now, it's impossible to keep her in this country.

I did end up going for a college semester to England. I traveled from there to Ireland, Scotland, and Italy. I loved traveling, but that was my last hurrah unless I win the Lotto. LOL Fairly sure I would not do as well in hostels now as I did then. ;) It was a lot of fun though. I was older than almost all the other students (turned 32 a week after we got there) but still had a blast and am so grateful I got to do that.