Petty Officer, Third Class. Reporting for duty.

I have been a storyteller most of my life but just recently became a writer. I conceived of a story that needed telling to a broader audience than my circle of friends. I tried to ignore it, to go back to what I was doing before. The story didn't let go. So, I dusted off my decades-old college writing experience, freshened it with some well-chosen books on creative writing, and joined the online writing community. The first draft of my novel was painful to read. Even my sister, a theater professor at NYU, said, "Nice premise, but it needs... work. Lots of work." I looked up such terms as "head hopping" and "narrative distance" and I rewrote my story. And rewrote it again. And again. You get the idea. Two years after first setting finger to key, strangers were saying such things as, "This is better than most indie writing I have read." Mission accomplished. I pulled the trigger and published The Gods We Make.

Proclamations of "mission accomplished" really mean "a key milestone has been hit, but there's still work to be done. Lots and lots of work."

I'm figuring out how to convince readers that my book belongs on their shelf, and I started work on the second book of the series, The Gods We Seek.

I joined the Roundtable to share what I know and to learn what I don't.

- Eric

Comments

• Welcome. I'm glad I'm not the only story teller whose stories decided it was time to be written down. (Mine ambushed me just before I started Grad school and haven't stopped giving me ultimatums.)
  • Welcome. I'm glad I'm not the only story teller whose stories decided it was time to be written down. (Mine ambushed me just before I started Grad school and haven't stopped giving me ultimatums.)

Probably the one good time to give in to an ultimatum :smile: Good luck with the story and keep us updated on your progress!
  • Thanks @EricJohannsen. I'm trying to, when they don't drag me away by the seat of my pants. (or conversely - drop me in the prickly patch on the seat of my pants.)