Ahoy There!

Well Hellooo!

So, introductions: Name o Kathryn. I'm a writer, when I can be. I love writing and towards the end of uni got shuffled sideways into teaching. It's a lie to think you can teach high school and have time for much else, at least at the start. Anyway after loosing a few years to that I went back to study and started my second career. Unfortunately this one is going well, money is seductively good, years have passed. The work is interesting and I have surrounded myself with an excellent team. They're really awesome. But, not my passion. Also, it involves a lot of very dry operational policy and procedure and general government document writing, to the extent that sometimes I wonder if I can write any other way now. Sometimes I'll get half way through reading a document before a particular turn of phrase alerts me that it was something that I (sometimes years before) wrote. Gee that's rewarding... -_-

So! Currently focusing on developing my writing of fantasy, sci-fi, a touch of horror and urban fantasy when I get bored with the others.

Tonight's task involves trying to work out the dimensions of a horse of such size that four people could sit comfortably on the forelock. And then how much would it need to eat and proportionately how far could it travel in a day? What would be the going rate offered by a bordering mud farm for carting it away it's leavings from around ye olde cbd? Maths!! And a touch of world-building :open_mouth:

I'm also trying to build an Australian-bush inspired fantasy setting. But, it's hard to romanticise, because the bush is so unpleasant. It works much better with a mad-max-everything-is-trying-to-kill-each-other setting than it does a fantasy.

Anyways, it's very late here. I'm looking forward to chatting with you all about writing and becoming friends! Qapla'!!!

Comments

• Welcome.
    Kathryn said:

Well Hellooo!

It works much better with a mad-max-everything-is-trying-to-kill-each-other setting than it does a fantasy.

That's because everything in the Australian bush IS trying to kill you. LOL I used to live in the other deadliest place on earth. Arizona has only a few less things that try to kill you than Australia does. ;)
  • Ah but at least Arizona is appropriately dramatic about it! I was lucky enough to drive through some of it last year, so beautiful! Maybe it's the difference of being a tourist? ^_^
  • Kathryn said:

Ah but at least Arizona is appropriately dramatic about it! I was lucky enough to drive through some of it last year, so beautiful! Maybe it's the difference of being a tourist? ^_^

Must be. It is a beautiful place with a LOT of wide open spaces. I prefer it here on the side of the mountain though.
  • Ah I love mountains! Here it’s rolling hills, tonnes of suburbs and a few old quarries. Nice beaches but the sun is pretty brutal. Worse in NZ I’ve heard, under the hole. Eucalypts give a toilet-y cat pee smell to everything, when the bush is not on fire. But I’m determined to write it into a fantasy setting somehow! Hmm maybe a bushfire would be a good one to write in? They are the most scary of all.
  • We live where we have a mountain behind us going further up than the 7000 ft. where we are and on the other side we have as Eric says, "100 mile views". We can just about see into Texas from our front door. That doesn't mean much to someone who lives in another country, but the Texas border is 196 miles from here. ;)
  • Feet and miles don't mean much to me either - but it's impressive in meters and km's!
  • LOL Oh yes I forgot.