Greetings Fellow Dreamers!

Introducing myself here as per protocol ;-) I'm Alan Tucker and I'm a Scifi/Fantasy author. This is the 12-step program for Afflicted Authorism isn't it?

I published my first book in 2010 and just finished my seventh novel. I live in Montana (yes, we have internet!) with my dog and a cat I inherited from my younger daughter who couldn't take it with her when she got a place of her own. I love all things science fiction and fantasy— my first passion was the Pip and Flinx books by Alan Dean Foster from my youth.

What book/movie/show first got you hooked?

Here's a link to my latest, the first part you can read for free if you're so inclined: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYB3BMO

Comments

• Welcome Ensign Tucker.
  • Howdy. I can relate to kids and dogs, I have exactly the same situation with one of mine.

First book for me was Rocketship Galileo by RAH. I was like 5 or 6 when I read it ... ruined me for life I guess.

Yesterday in fact I had a moment where I was attending a writer's group meeting and I wanted to jump up and say, "Hi I'm Eric, and I am a writer. Writing has ruined my life. Now I spend all my time hiding in my room and I don't relate to my friends and family anymore." 12 step it is!
  • First book for me was Rocketship Galileo by RAH. I was like 5 or 6 when I read it ... ruined me for life I guess.

I didn't get to Heinlein until I was a bit older, but he could certainly write the hell out of a story! Nice to meet you!
  • Welcome Ensign Tucker.

Pleasure to be here, Captain!
  • Welcome, Alan Tucker! (hey, wait a second guys! I thought we were knights of the roundtable? Now you're changing the lingo on me!)

Anyways...

My first science fiction book was actually a classic... Jules Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth, followed quickly by Around the West in Eighty Days, when I was seven. But, my first modern sci-fi catch was OSC's Ender's Game, and that was when I knew I wanted to write sci-fi.
  • My first science fiction book was actually a classic... Jules Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth, followed quickly by Around the West in Eighty Days, when I was seven. But, my first modern sci-fi catch was OSC's Ender's Game, and that was when I knew I wanted to write sci-fi.

I didn't read those until later on but loved all three. Thanks for chiming in!
  • I was captured by fantasy first, though cut my teeth in the sci-fi genre on E. E. Doc Smith and Heinlein. Didn't discover Foster until middle school, when dad introduced me to Midworld. From there, the race was on - what hadn't I read in the library yet from either genre?

Oh, and I'll chime in with another welcome aboard.